Did you find what you were looking for? Click here to leave your feedback.

Keep kids safe this Guy Fawkes night

Plunket’s National Child Safety Advisor, Sue Campbell, urges families to take care and be responsible with fireworks this Guy Fawkes, to prevent children from being injured by fireworks.

“We encourage people to attend public displays, where neighbours and friends can meet and enjoy the occasion safely. Large, spectacular public displays are held in many towns and cities around the country and can be great fun for all the family,” said Sue Campbell. 

ACC reported 493 claims for firework injuries in 2013, though this had dropped from 579 in 2006.

“Each year hundreds of New Zealanders are injured by fireworks. Our strong message to parents and caregivers is to keep kids safe this Guy Fawkes’ night.”

She said that if families choose to celebrate Guy Fawkes, there are some precautions they can take to keep everyone safe: “For families that prefer to buy their own, always make sure an adult lights fireworks. Follow the instructions on fireworks before using them, never attempt to relight a firework that hasn't gone off and never point them at people. Keep fireworks in a box or bag until you’re ready to light them. And always keep a bucket of water or a hose handy.”

“Excitement is high and it is often easy to forget the simple safety precautions that make the fireworks experience safe and fun for littlies.”

“Children will often copy adults, so it is important that you keep fireworks, matches and lighters well out of reach of children and have a responsible adult supervising children at all times.”

For more information contact:

Jen Riches | Plunket Media Manager | 021 405 842 | jen.riches@plunket.org.nz

Notes to editors

Fireworks safety advice from the Fire Service

  • Read and follow instructions on fireworks before using them
  • Read them with a torch (not a naked flame)
  • Light in a wide open area away from anything that could catch fire
  • Fireworks, alcohol and drugs are dangerous combination
  • Never let a child light fireworks
  • Keep a bucket of water or a hose handy
  • Keep all unlit fireworks in the box or bag until you are ready to use them
  • If one of your fireworks doesn’t go - dispose of it safely. Never attempt to relight it.
  • Burns should be put under cold running water for at least 20 minutes.

Tags: 0 Comments Posted by Jen Riches on 7 November 2014

Post your comment

Comments

No one has commented on this page yet.

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments

An interesting link from Plunket
Here’s something I read on the Plunket website I thought you might find interesting.
Please separate with commas.