Migrant and Refugee Families

Welcome to New Zealand, your new home.Hand on plane

Moving your family to a new environment can be both exciting and challenging, especially if you have young children.

Plunket is here to help.

Plunket is a charitable organization that can help with support services for the development, health and wellbeing of children in New Zealand aged 0-5 years.

Plunket services are available to those who live in New Zealand, regardless of their residency status.

Plunket is a Well Child Provider and this service is funded by the Government’s Ministry of Health. The Well Child Tamariki Ora programme is a series of health visits and support that are free to all families for children from around 6 weeks up to 5 years of age. The free Well Child Tamariki Ora visits cover:

  • child growth and development
  • family health and wellbeing
  • immunisation information
  • oral health (teeth and gum) checks
  • early childhood education
  • vision (sight) and hearing
  • health and development checks for learning well at school.

Well Child Tamariki Ora nurses are experts in child health and growth. Your nurse will support you to protect and improve your child’s health. Your midwife will give you a free Well Child Tamariki Ora My Health Book. The My Health Book reminds you about all the things that you can do to keep your child healthy and safe.

The PlunketLine (telephone line) 0800 933 922 is free for you to call, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are worried about your baby or child and want to talk to a nurse, you can call PlunketLine.

If English is not your first language, you can ask for an interpreter for the Well Child check or when you are speaking with PlunketLine.

Plunket also offers other services for parents and small children. These are playgroups, toy libraries, parenting education, and other support services in your local community. Some of these services cost a gold coin donation ($1 or $2) or you may have to pay a very small fee.

Plunket also provides services or activities that are for people in New Zealand who are from the Pacific community, the Asian community, and the refugee community.

If you want more information about Plunket, please contact your Plunket nurse, or contact us (www.plunket.org.nz).

You are never alone when raising a family. Here are some other organizations that might help.

New Zealand Now provides official government information on coming to NZ to live, work or study, and information and advice on settling in NZ.

Citizens Advice Bureau – The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) is an organization that provides free information and advice to new migrants about living and working in New Zealand. CAB Language Link (0800 78 88 77) is a national call centre offering free information, in more than 20 languages.

English Language Partners - helps migrants to learn English in their home or at a group or class in their local community.

New Zealand Red Cross - Provides resettlement programmes for refugees and other services including help to find employment.

There are other organizations that might be of help. However in New Zealand, if your child is sick, it is common to see your family doctor (GP – General Practitioner); you can find a GP in your area. Or you can call Healthline 0800 611 116 if you don’t know who to see or who to call.

The emergency number in New Zealand is 111. 

Plunket and You brochures

 A brief introduction of services for families with 0-5 years old (Chinese) PDF 2.86mb    


An interesting link from Plunket
Here's something I read on the Plunket website I thought you might find interesting.
Please separate with commas.