Plunket and Colgate Australia and New Zealand have partnered together to bring you our top five tips for keeping your family’s mouths nice and healthy:
1. Start brushing teeth as soon as they appear – use a small soft brush on little one’s teeth. Lift your child’s lip regularly to check for signs of tooth decay (holes). Baby teeth do fall out, but it’s still really important to look after them.
2. Regular trips to the dentist and start with enrolling early – we promise, you’ll be doing your kids a favour by getting their teeth checked regularly – plus, dental care is FREE for under-18s
3. Brush teeth at least twice a day with Fluoride toothpaste – it’s great to get into a routine of once in the morning after breakfast, and once at night before bed
4. Choose healthy foods and drinks: limit sweet treats – sugary drinks, in particular, are one of the most common causes of dental decay, a painful problem that can lead to teeth having to be removed. Give thirsty kids water.
5. Help reduce sickness by not sharing toothbrushes – our nurses have seen a lot of rheumatic fever recently, and one of the ways this spreads through the family is through sharing toothbrushes
If you have any questions about dental health, please feel free to ask your Plunket nurse or give our 24/7 PlunketLine team a call on 0800 933 922 (it’s free), or contact your Community Oral Health Service on 0800 TALK TEETH (0800 825 583).
0 Comments Posted by Mamae Munn on 20 September 2017