Book your child's appointment
Plunket provides B4 School Checks in the North Island, but not in the South Island.
- There are B4 School clinics from Monday to Saturday at Plunket centres or community spaces like churches or marae, and we do home visits from Monday to Friday.
- The team are also happy to visit your child’s early childhood centre if that would work better for you – we try to be as flexible as possible.
We ask that whānau book in their child’s B4 School Check as soon as their little one turns four years old.
It’s easy. Just give the B4 School Check contact in your region a call to book a time and place that works for you. Find the contact in your region on the Ministry of Health website below.
Find your regional B4 School Check contact
What does the B4 School Check involve?
The B4 School Check is a fun, comprehensive assessment of your child's language, development, growth, behaviour, social and emotional development, and oral health.
There are three main parts to the check:
- a vision and hearing check, which is often done at your child’s pre-school
- the nurse assessment (this is at your appointment)
- a strengths and difficulties questionnaire that will be sent back by the early childhood centre your tamariki attends.
Note: we can email you the paperwork before the check if requested.
We're here to help
The B4 School Check is a great opportunity for you to have a chat with one of our nurses about anything that’s top of mind for you.
Maybe your little one really struggles with getting up and ready in the mornings, or perhaps they’re having night terrors – whatever you’d like to talk about, we’re here to help.
Why earlier is better
Seeing your child soon after their fourth birthday gives plenty time for any support or adjustments (e.g. seeing a speech therapist to help with language development) to be put in place before they start school – giving them the best chance to thrive.
Call the B4 School Check contact in your region. See the Ministry of Health link above to find the contact in your area.
PlunketLine is also available 24/7 on 0800 933 922 (this is a free service).