Finding breastfeeding difficult?
You’re not alone!
Breastfeeding is a learned skill for both mum and baby, and it’s very common to need a bit of extra support before you both become experts.
If you’re finding breastfeeding painful or you’re worried about something (e.g. lumps on your breast, or low milk supply) – talk to your midwife, lead maternity carer (LMC) or Plunket nurse as soon as possible.
You can also call PlunketLine any time, day or night, on 0800 933 922 (for free).
LMCs and our nurses have a lot of experience with breastfeeding and are more than happy to offer you advice and support – and if needed, refer you to a lactation consultant.
You can also self-refer to a lactation consultant.
PlunketLine lactation consultants
If you’re struggling to access a lactation consultant locally – PlunketLine is here to help.
All you need to do is give one of our PlunketLine nurses a call on 0800 933 922 (this is free, and available 24/7) and we’ll do an assessment and book you an appointment with one of Plunket’s International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC®).
These breastfeeding consultations are free and available for all breastfeeding women – even if Plunket isn’t your WellChild provider.
How it works
Once you’ve booked an appointment, we’ll send you a link (and instructions) for how to download Zoom, the secure and reliable video chat app we use.
The consultation is carried out in a private environment, and you’re more than welcome to have a support person with you.
Appointments are available during the day, evenings and on weekends, to make things as easy as possible for you.
PlunketLine also offer follow-up support through calls, additional video-call consultations, or referrals to community lactation consultants if you need some face-to-face support.
Health professional referral
Thank you, Wright Family Foundation
This service was launched in November 2018, thanks to a very generous philanthropic partnership with the Wright Family Foundation.
Other breastfeeding support
The easiest way to find what breastfeeding support services are available to you locally is through SmartStart, or by asking your LMC or Plunket nurse.
Find breastfeeding support services near you.
Community lactation consultants
There are normally publicly funded (free) lactation consultants available through your local DHB or other primary health providers - Plunket have several community lactation consultants available across the country.
You can find these through SmartStart, or by asking your LMC or Plunket nurse.
You could also go to a private practice if you’d prefer. This will come at a cost, and the New Zealand Lactation Consultants Association has a good directory of consultants.
Find a private lactation consultant.
Here are just a few examples of the different types of breastfeeding support groups available across the country:
- Plunket Family Centres: Some of our Family Centres have drop-in breastfeeding support clinics. Ask your Plunket nurse what’s available in your area, or call PlunketLine (0800 933 922) and ask our general enquires staff
- La Leche League: The La Leche League offer mum-to-mum breastfeeding support all across New Zealand.
- Birthing Centres – The Milk Café: The Wright Family Foundation Birthing Centres in Lower Hutt, Tauranga, Palmerston North and Mangere all offer Milk Café, a breastfeeding support group led by a local lactation consultant.
- Local mum-to-mum groups: Check out SmartStart or ask your LMC or Plunket nurse what’s available in your community.
Find a La Leche League group near you.
- BreastFedNZ: This free, New Zealand-made app has a huge amount of evidence-based information all about breastfeeding – from cluster feeding to growth spurts, to breastfeeding twins and premature babies, and more.
Find BreastfedNZ in the App Store or Google Play or check out their website for more information.